I’ve been a plantbased eater for 22 years now, so trust me when I say this burger is the best veggie burger ever. I try to stay away from meat substitutes as 1. I’ll be I don’t eat meat for aesthetic purposes it doesn’t look good therefore it’s not going into my mouth and 2. I just don’t think all those extra lab made ingredients are good for you but like most veggies I do of-course dabble on occasion for macro reasons with a Quorn sausage here a and there. Growing up in a home were we made our own peanut butter, mom would drive to farms to buy meat, even still grow our own vegetables (pumpkins, leeks, tomatoes, onions, spinach etc) I believe in keeping things as natural as possible when it comes to food.
A few summers ago I went to a friends BBQ and her girlfriend had made these and I’ve been hooked since they are soo good and freezable too! It is slightly reminiscent of the Nandos beanie burger too which is a favourite of mine.
It’s a very simple recipe and you can make it as spicy as you like. the best veggie burger ever
- 1 can of chickpeas, drain & rinse them then mash them with a fork or masher
- 1 courgette grated – give it a big squeeze in the sink to get rid of excess water
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 cup oats
- 4 tbsp coriander chopped
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp organic peanut butter (I imagine almond or what ever nut butter would also work)
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- optional extras – cheese, tomatoes, salad or lettuce, grilled pineapple, 40g unflavoured protein powder for even more protein , burger buns or bagels.
- Add all the ingredients into a big bowl.
- Use your hands to mix very well.
- Form into 6 patties or 12 for sliders
- BBQ for approximately 10 minutes each side OR fry a few at a time in a pan with a little oil for 4 minutes a side.
That is it. That’s you done enjoy the labour of your hands!
Lightly toast and then dress your buns or bagel sides with perinaise, vegan mayo, garlic mayo or your chosen burger condiment.
I layer my toasted and dressed buns with the burger burger, cheese or cheese alternative, tomatoes, avocado, baby leaf salad and top bun or whatever you fancy, I drizzle mine with hot sauce but what can I say I’m a rebel without a cause. Also grilled pineapple is always on my burger if using a bbq it adds a little something something. It also reminds me of my Nandos order.
To freeze for later fry or bbq then allow them to cool and freeze in a freezer bag or lunchbox will keep for 3months.
Nandos beanie burger
For the fries I just used a potato for each serving add a little extra virgin olive oil, onion granules, freshly minced garlic, smoked paprika and salt -pink Himalayan is my jam but do you boo and I put them in an air fryer for 20minutes.